Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Regrets

the only words that I regret
are those I didn't say
I've spent too much time on doubt
because I was afraid
I let their opinions make me hate
my only voice
adopted their perceptions like
I didn't have a choice

I take responsibility
before I act then own it
if I didn't want this crop
I certainly wouldn't have grown it
why are you so hell-bent on
convincing me to say
that I regret my words because
you took them the wrong way

compassion and detachment
aren't mutually exclusive
focusing on someone else's life
is so intrusive
I can't waste my time on hoping
that you'll understand me
while you're busy drafting all
the verdicts that you'll hand me

you tell me to swallow
what you know will make me sick
so I wash my hands of you
and chew them to the quick
I'll execute the punishment
I did nothing to earn
but I won't let you do it because
then you'd never learn

2 comments:

Fiocle said...

Love it, Jillian :) A song?

Jillian said...

Indeed