Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Rivers

rivers aren't supposed to flow uphill
and feelings aren't supposed to be suppressed
they tell us to hide all signs of rage
because they'd rather that we feel depressed

I have found the ugliest of truths
more beautiful than all the pretty lies
don't let others tell you how to feel
your heart isn't there to compromise

I can't take it anymore
I have to speak my mind
my pen is the sword against
the bourgeois and swine

Sometimes I feel like I'm under seige
outside forces move to occupy
but the wall I'm building around me
keeps me safely tucked away inside

injustice is a toxin in our blood
poisoning our minds with frustration
we're supposed to take it with a smile
but our stomachs churn with rancid bile

why can't you just understand
I'm not what you expect
I am small but I am big
and I deserve respect

No comments: