Monday, June 04, 2007

like glass

I am like the ocean
when the surface is like glass
laying in a patient wait
for another phase to come to pass
in my depths the creatures lurk
consuming one another
everything was born of me
and yet I'm no one's mother

I collect the sunshine's heat
and carry it with currents
I collect the moon and stars
and move with their inertia
I will swell and I will crash
and I will become stormy
I will raise my levels
as the earth continues warming

get caught in my rip-tide
feel my currents pull you in
I'll take you under
then let you surface again

I will hold the answers
to the questions no one's asking
I will be a mirror for
the face that you are masking
I'll reflect upon the sky
I will create clouds
they'll rain tears upon the land
to bring my love into the ground

I will gently rock the boat
that's resting in the twilight
I will sink another
only when I feel the time's right
I will give and I will take
and when the storm has passed
I'll be like the ocean
when the surface is like glass

get caught in my rip-tide
feel my currents pull you in
I'll take you under
then let you surface again

I'm rising like the tide
that's swallowing the shore
I hold so much inside
can't hold it anymore

2 comments:

Puget Sound Radio said...

Jillian, I was thinking about you today and found your blog. While I haven't been able to read everything, I have found your poetry exquisite and eloquent. You are lucky to have such a gift.

Don't know if you are still in Roslyn. We fell in love with it years ago on our way to Salmon la Sac and visited it frequently when in Cle Elum.

If you enjoy that space, you might want to take a trip to Twisp in the Methow Valley. It is a little bigger and has a thriving arts community, great nightlife (for a small town) and lots of winter and summer visitors.

Hope you are at peace. Ron and I are contemplating our next stage of life now that children are done with school. Meanwhile, if you have a chance, go to see Ratatuoille, the PIXAR film. I think you will like it. Fondly, ANN Suter

~syd said...

My dear, you are brilliant. I do so wish you would publish a book of your poetry and songs. You are my hero. Don't ever forget. I love you!

~syd